Potato Puttu – Urulaikizhangu Puttu
Puttu is basically peeled and mashed vegetable that is tempered with spices, green chillies and onion. This Potato Puttu is a simple yet flavourful side dish for rice. This goes well with sambar, rasam & most of all with any spicy kuzhambu. Usually I make some kootu variety to pair with it, but this Potato Puttu is also a favourite at home. When we get bored with the usual potato fry with all the masalas, I make this much milder version.
Now to the recipe…
[Preparation Time-10 mins : Cooking Time- 20 mins]
Potato Puttu Ingredients:
- Potato – 4
- Onion – 2
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Green chillies – 3
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Coconut – 2 tbsp (grated)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Wash and pressure cook potatoes for 4-5 whistles. We need the potatoes to be cooked soft so that it is easy to mash. Once cooked, peel the skin and grate it. U can mash it randomly too. Heat a pan and temper with mustard & urad dal. Add the onion, ginger, chillies and curry leaves. Saute until onion is transparent.
- Now add the grated potato along with salt and turmeric powder. Saute well for a few minutes until all the ingredients blend well and the potato gets roasted a bit.
- Finally add grated coconut and mix well. Saute for a couple of more minutes and switch off the flame. We prefer it to be a little bit roasted, so I continued for a little more time and then switched off.
Thats it! Yummy and flavourful Potato Puttu is ready!
Serve with hot rice and kuzhambu of your choice.
- Adding grated coconut finally gives a unique flavour. U can skip it if u dont want.
- Green chillies adds the required spiciness for this Potato Puttu. So add accordingly. If u substitute with red chilli powder, it will be like a normal potato fry. Do not skip green chillies.
- Make sure to cook the potatoes until soft & mushy.
- U can grate it or mash it randomly.